12.12.2010

Double Chocolate Chip Brownies

I do believe this is the first time I've dealt with a lower-fat recipe that involved applesauce, though I have heard of using it. It was pretty interesting. You melt together semi-sweet chocolate chips, sugar, unsweetened applesauce, and a little margarine over low heat on the stove, then stir in the rest of the ingredients like usual. Again, this recipe used egg whites, and I was a little surprised at how much sugar was called for (1 cup) given that apple sauce was also in there to add some natural sweetness. Though, it might be that the apple sauce is there to add moisture moreso than sweetness, because these brownies are nice and chewy and moist. Having some whole chocolate chips inside the brownies makes them nice and chocolatey too. You can't even really tell that they're lower in fat and calories than regular! And again, it would be interesting to use Splenda in place of sugar to see how different it might be, and it would also cut out even more calories.

I left the nuts out since they were optional. Like I said, these brownies are chewy, moist, and chocolatey. You can't taste the applesauce in them - they taste just like regular brownies. That's a pretty exellent "light" recipe, if you ask me. I'd give them a 4 out of 5. Good stuff, good stuff.

Only five more recipes! Three of them are light recipes, and the other two I saved specifically for the holidays. Toll House finally released their limited edition dark chocolate and mint chips for the holidays, so that's a relief. My back-up plan was to use Andes chips, but I don't think it would've been quite the same. I'll be back and baking again after finals week! Look out, world. The Toll House Experiment is almost complete!

Cheers!

~Jesia <3

No comments:

Post a Comment