12.24.2010

Chocolate Gingerbread Boys and Girls

I'd never made gingerbread men before today, and I enjoyed it. The spices (ginger and cinnamon) aren't overpowering, and they accent the chocolate nicely. 1 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate is mixed into the dough instead of cocoa, along with 1/2 cup of molasses, making these cookies extra dark and flavorful. This is one of those recipes that requires planning ahead, since the dough needs to chill for at least an hour before being rolled out and cut. The dough is pretty dense and a little difficult to work with, but it makes some tasty cookies. ^_^ I drizzled them with semi-sweet chocolate as directed in the recipe, but I ended up not decorating them further with icing. The white cookie icing I bought wasn't meant for any kind of detail work; I think it was more for icing an entire cookie as thin as it was. Oh well. You live and you learn. (It was Betty Crocker brand cookie icing in a little bag, by the way.) A thicker icing that hardens would be ideal, like maybe royal icing.

I'd give this recipe a 4 out of 5. It's a great holiday cookie recipe, especially if you're looking for something a little out of the ordinary. (At least, I hadn't heard of chocolate gingerbread until this recipe.) So yep, if you like chocolate and spice, definitely give these a try. =) I'm leaving out a couple for Santa Claus tonight.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas!

~Jesia <3

No comments:

Post a Comment