10.08.2010

Chocolate Chip Cookie Brittle

So, I've heard of candy called "brittle," and I've made a peppermint "bark" before, but I didn't realize that there was such a thing as cookie brittle. The dough is easy to make. There is no leavener (baking soda or powder) and no brown sugar, probably to keep the cookie a little more dense and less chewy. I used a regular cookie sheet with raised edges since I don't have a 10"x15" jelly roll pan, and I used foil as usual with my bar cookies to make them easier to lift out of the pan. The sheet of cookie dough baked up nice and golden brown and took a while to cool. The only real issue I had with this recipe was the chocolate drizzle... I used a quart-sized freezer Ziploc bag, and when I got the bag of chocolate out of the microwave and began to knead it, the bag busted. v.v I went ahead and cut a small hole in the corner like usual and did my best. I really don't know why I've had so much trouble with drizzle lately... After the chocolate set, I lifted the brittle out of the pan with the foil and broke it up with my hands into uneven pieces.

This recipe is pretty good. You can definitely taste the butter in it. I think I'd give it a 3 1/2 out of 5. While I would consider making it again sometime, the taste isn't quite "wow" worthy. Also, there is a cup of nuts in this recipe, but because they were finely chopped they hide well within the dense cookie. The recipe does note that omitting the nuts could make the brittle dry, which makes sense since nuts contain fat (the good kind, mind you). Good stuff, Toll House, good stuff.

Cheers!

~Jesia <3

No comments:

Post a Comment