3.12.2010

Chocolate-Dipped Brandy Snaps

This recipe was SERIOUSLY difficult for me. I'm just glad I had the support of my assistant Lucas. It was no problem making the batter, though it is a strange recipe. It calls for only two teaspoons of brandy, so I went to the local value liquor store to find the smallest (hopefully cheapest) bottle possible. I told the girl behind the counter what I was looking for, and I ended up with a tiny shooter bottle of 80 proof brandy for 99 cents plus tax. Victory! It's amazing, even after putting the two teaspoons in the batter for the cookies, I still have plenty of brandy left. xP I have no idea what I'll end up doing with it.

Anyway, the recipe says to bake no more than six cookies at a time on an ungreased baking sheet. The batter looks like melted caramel, and when it bakes it spreads to a giant, flat, crispy cookie with holes. It's difficult to get them off the pan (before they harden and stick with no hope of getting them off in one piece) without ripping and compressing them. I found after a few batches that it's much easier with a really flat spatula. BUT, you have to roll them before they harden, and they're extremely greasy with butter and very very HOT! You're supposed to roll them over a wooden spoon handle, but I forgot to buy a wooden spoon. >< Anyway, the biggest problem I had with this recipe was getting the cookies off the pan and rolling them. It's really a matter of trial and error, but I recommend using a large, very flat spatula and either rolling them as you lift them off the pan with the spatula, or removing them all and then rolling them with your fingers (if you don't have a wooden spoon or something similar).

As far as taste, these things are pretty darn tasty. They're crispy, crunchy, and sweet with ginger and cinnamon. After they cool, you dip them in chocolate and sprinkle them with nuts. I made some with and some without nuts. I'd give this recipe, as far as taste, 4 out of 5, HOWEVER it was also a 5 out of 5 when it comes to difficulty. Or at least, I think so. I'm not sure I'll ever attempt these again, but if I do I'll make sure to get that wooden spoon!

Cheers!

~Jesia

No comments:

Post a Comment