2.06.2010

Mini Morsel Meringue Cookies

If you like meringue, then these are pretty yummy and simple cookies. Only five ingredients - egg whites, salt, cream of tartar (NOT TARTAR SAUCE), sugar, and mini semi-sweet chocolate morsels. This was my first time baking meringue in a context other than on top of cream pies, so it was interesting.

Like I said, if you like meringue, these are pretty good cookies. It feels soft on the inside and yet somewhat firm on the outside, and when you chew it all up you get the really chewy part of the meringue left in your mouth (which I'm sure is purely caramelized sugar). I guess it's difficult to describe unless you've eaten meringue... I'd give this 3 out of 5. It isn't something I'd be apt to make often, because it's so unusual, but it is good. Another positive point is that they're simple (as long as you have an idea of how to make meringue and you follow the instructions) and not too sweet despite the cup of sugar and the mini morsels.

Word to the wise! Don't be like me and forget to grease the pan before baking these cookies. They're more difficult to take off the pan without destroying them. Also, when you do grease the pan, don't wait longer than a few minutes (maybe 5) to take them off. I found that if I left them sitting on the cookie sheet too long they were also difficult to scrape off. xP

Cheers!

~Jesia

3 comments:

  1. I learned how to seperate the egg-whites yesterday! Thank you my baking master =). These cookies are pretty decent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were delicious! Thanks for making me and mom a plate. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big meringue fan (unless it's on top of a pie). These were just ok to me. They can't all be the best.

    ReplyDelete