2.20.2010

Chocolate Cherry Thumbprints

This is a pretty interesting recipe. Sure, I've heard of the whole "thumbprint" cookie idea, but I've never tried it. I can't help but wonder why Toll House calls for both unsweetened cocoa powder and melted chocolate in the recipe though. Usually it's just one or the other. Ah well, surely they have their reasons, right? Also, there are oats in this recipe, but I'm guessing the oats help give the cookies some density and strength to hold the cherry on top. Again, we'll pretend these cookies are healthy since they involve oats and fruit. ;) I looove decorating with drizzle on top, and even though the recipe didn't specify to melt the chocolate in a Ziploc bag, cut a tiny hole in the corner, and pipe the chocolate on the cookies, that's the way I did it. I think it's just easier that way, rather than trying to use a spoon or knife to drizzle it on straight from the bowl. For me, at least, the chocolate tends to cool and drop in clumps rather than actually drizzling... So yeah, I recommend the Ziploc bag route. =)

I'm personally not a fan of cherries, but I tried one of these cookies anyway. It was just okay, I thought. I'd say... 2 out of 5 stars. It's a neat idea, and other people who like cherries really liked these, but it's just not my taste. They were fun to make though! You literally stick your thumb into balls of cookie dough and fill them with whatever it is you're using. ^_^ I'm looking forward to another thumbprint cookie recipe later in this book; they're chocolate cookies with peanut butter thumbprints.

Anyhow, only one more recipe for the month, and it's also fruity! The Chocolate Cherry Thumbprints are the beginning of the "Celebration Cookies" chapter. The next blog will be Chocolate Raspberry Layer Bars. It looks interesting!

Cheers!

~Jesia

3 comments:

  1. I had one at Granny and Papaw's today. They were delicious. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum Yum! A treat for the eyes as well as the mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed these cookies..the cherry on top made them unique. They were also very pretty!

    ReplyDelete