9.25.2010

Cream Cheese-Chocolate Chip Pastry Cookies

Oh man, these are pretty awesome. Definitely something that you could serve at a cafe. Also, it's easy to put together and only takes four ingredients: frozen puff pastry, milk chocolate chips, cream cheese, and sugar. The only downside is all the waiting time involved in this recipe. First, you let the frozen puff pastry thaw according to the package directions (40 minutes, in my case). Then you roll one of the puff pastry sheets out on a floured surface until it's about 10"x14". You mix together 8 oz. of cream cheese with 3 tablespoons of sugar, and spread half of it on the rolled out puff pastry. Then you sprinkle one cup of milk chocolate chips, roll it up into a log, and seal the edge using a little water. You repeat this process again with the remaining ingredients and put both logs in the fridge for an hour (see what I mean about wait time?). After refrigerating, you cut the logs crosswise into one-inch rolls; each log makes a dozen cookies. I actually cut off the ends of the logs where there was little or no filling so that the cookies would be as consistent as possible. They're baked at 375 degrees on a lightly greased pan for 20-25 minutes. I went ahead and baked the log-ends too and ate them. Lol.

So, again, this recipe is easy and doesn't require many ingredients, but you definitely have to plan in advance to make them. It's not something you can just whip out last minute, not only because of the wait times but also because the ingredients aren't likely to be on hand in your kitchen. Or, at least, they're not in my kitchen. =P The only thing I don't like about the way these cookies baked was that some of the chocolate chips on the bottoms of the rolls kind of spilled out a little, which I don't find terribly attractive. But the taste is simple and great. The cream cheese isn't overwhelming, and there's just something about pastry and chocolate together that is just wonderful. I wouldn't be inclined to call these cookies any more than I'd be inclined to call cinnamon rolls "cookies," but oh well. It doesn't matter what they're called as long as they're tasty, and they are. <3 I'd give these a 4 out of 5. It was tempting to drizzle a little icing; maybe I'll try that sometime. =)

Cheers, and on to October!

~Jesia <3

2 comments:

  1. Sweeeeet! Cream Cheese and chocolate - a forever winning combination. I loved these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prepare the rolled logs the day before I plan to serve them. When ready to serve, I simply slice and bake to golden perfection. They are wonderful served warm, easy to make and a beautiful presentation! This recipe was featured at a Fall 1999 Taste of Home Cooking School. The original recipe calls for 1 3/4 cups of morsels. While it is a minor difference, I've found that you can have too many chocolate morsels. Also, the original recipe says they are best eaten on the day they are baked. I have store the baked cookies in the refrigerator and reheated them.

    ReplyDelete