7.28.2010

Chocolate Macaroon Bars

If you love chocolate and coconut, this bar cookie is definitely for you. The base is made from chocolate cake mix, butter, and egg, and it's very thick, chocolatey, and moist. The middle layer is a mixture of sweetened condensed milk, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and coconut, and the whole concoction is topped with more flaked coconut. After baking, the coconut on top is toasted and brown, yet the coconut in the middle is still chewy, giving these bars an interesting, soft and chewy texture. It all comes together nicely, I think (and I don't even like coconut). My parents love these.

Despite my dislike of coconut, I appreciate the texture and form of these bars. I'd give it a 3 1/2 out of 5. The recipe is very easy, and if you like chocolate and coconut it's a great dessert.

One more recipe for July, then it's on to August!

Cheers!

~Jesia

1 comment:

  1. BY FAR THE BEST ONE YET! This treat with my favorite combo of chocolate and coconut can't be beat. Earmark this recipe for future use.

    ReplyDelete