5.23.2010

Chocolate Mint Brownie Cookies

I had to make a couple of small modifications when making this recipe. For one thing, I didn't quite have 3/4 of a cup of nuts (almost!) and didn't feel like opening a whole new bag; and for another, Toll House doesn't make the mint chocolate chips anymore. The closest thing you can get is the "dark chocolate and mint" chips during the holidays (they're dark chocolate chips mixed with green mint chips). Luckily, I was able to snag a couple bags after the last holiday season for 50 cents apiece and they're good until September.

The recipe calls for melting half of the chips and adding it to the batter and then just adding the rest of the chips along with the nuts at the end. The cookies themselves turned out a little odd, I thought. They didn't quite look like the picture in the cookbook; while I realize the real thing often differs slightly from the pictures, it appeared as though the texture was different (or maybe I'm just imagining things). The batter was extremely gooey and sticky, and the cookies spread and became crackled on top. The bottoms also weren't smooth, and if you leave the cookies a little too long on the pan then they're more difficult to scrape off.

They're pretty soft and chewy, and the mint chocolate flavor isn't particularly overwhelming. In fact, the mint flavor actually lingers on the palate a little, and it feels sort of refreshing. I didn't like the nuts in this recipe (besides the fact that I don't like tree nuts anyway); I don't see how nuts and mint chocolate go together, but that's just me... Overall, this is a pretty good recipe (I LOVE mint chocolate), but it wasn't as chocolatey as I would've liked. I suppose the flavor was a little too mild for my personal tastes... Anyway, I guess I'll never know how it would've turned out had I been able to get a hold of the original mint chocolate chips that were discontinued. I'd give this recipe 3 1/2 out of 5.

One more recipe this month! It involves butterscotch and cream cheese.

Cheers!

~Jesia

No comments:

Post a Comment