11.26.2010

Sensibly Delicious Chocolate Chip Cookies

I think this is my first time "baking light." Toll House recommends that, when using margarine, to make sure that it is no less than 60% vegetable oil (so no "diet" margarine or "spreads"). I went with Best Life brand buttery baking sticks, since they are specifically made for baking and are 65% vegetable oil. Also to make this recipe "light," you use egg whites instead of whole eggs, as well as some water. Since there's little fat in these cookies compared to regular ones, the recipe calls for lightly greasing the baking sheets. Instead of lightly greasing I used parchment paper, which I find works just as well and is less messy.

I would imagine that, to make this recipe even lighter, one could use Splenda or a similar no-calorie sweetener that can be used cup-for-cup in place of sugar; Splenda has both white and brown varieties. I haven't tried this, but it would be an interesting experiment to see if it turns out more or less the same.

These cookies turned out a little thin; I'm not surprised that they spread so much because the batter was pretty wet and sticky. The edges are a little crisp, while the centers are chewy and soft, which is great. I have to say, that in comparison to regular chocolate chip cookies, these aren't AS good. But that is to be expected! They're pretty good for being about 94 calories and 4 grams of fat apiece (since I didn't use nuts, I imagine my cookies are just a little less than that). As far as compared to regular recipes, I'd give these a 3 out of 5. They aren't anything special, but again, they're pretty good for what they are!

Cheers! Only 7 more recipes to go!

~Jesia <3

No comments:

Post a Comment